Lab Section ___________________
EARTHQUAKE PRE-LAB ACTIVITY: Print out these pages and answer the questions using the information supplied in the pre-lab.
|1. Each increase of 1 on the Richter Scale means an increase of ___________ times in the ground motion and about a _______ times|
|increase in the amount of energy released.|
2. The amount of energy released from the focus of an earthquake is called its:
3. Look at the following seismographs and determine the difference in arrival times between the P- and S- waves. Note the dots on the seismogram represent minutes.
|Graph A||Graph B|
Graph A: __________ minutes Graph B: ___________ minutes
4. Which one of the above seismographs was located closest to the epicenter of this earthquake? A B (Circle your answer)
How did you determine your answer?
|5. Fill in this chart with data from the http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php as described in the pre-lab. For each year, write in the magnitude of the most frequent earthquakes experienced worldwide and in the United States. NOTE: Ignore the category of "No Magnitude" on the chart.|
Given the 10-year period in the chart above, answer the following questions:
6. What magnitude earthquake is most common worldwide? __________________
7. What magnitude earthquake is most common in the United States? __________________
8. What is the typical damage to be expected from the average earthquake? Refer to the chart of earthquake effects in the pre-lab
a. Worldwide ___________________________________________________________________
b. United States _________________________________________________________________